This activity kit is designed to introduce students to the impact engineers and engineering has on their day-to-day lives. It also acquaints students with engineering careers.
Topics: Engineering, Careers
Ties with P-TECH &/or school curriculum: P-TECH WPL Careers (Y3, Y4)
Length of class: 50-60 minutes
Outcomes: What learners will be able to know, do, or value by the end of the lesson.
- Students will identify the impact engineering has on their daily lives
- Students will understand the role of an engineer
- Students will examine engineering career options
Workplace learning skills:
- Analytical thinking
Learning Environment Needs
- Classroom must have PPT presentation capabilities
- Student laptop access for research
What Educators/Volunteers Need to Know
- Review the PPT presentation and speaker notes prior to presenting to students
- Identify a variety of engineering careers not detailed in the PPT
- Prepare a list of engineering careers to assign students to research (can include those on slide 12)
Activity Part 2: Career Search (30-40 min)
1. Team up students to research assigned engineering careers. They should be directed to O*Net OnLine (https://www.onetonline.org). Ask students to identify 6 specifics (brief job description, education required, skills, types of tasks performed, and 2 others of their choosing) about their assigned engineering career to share with the class. (10-15 min)
2. Student teams will share out their findings. (20-25 min)
How will I know learners have met intended outcome(s)?
- What 2 basic subjects do all engineers need to know?
- What education degree is required to become an engineer?
- Why are there so many types of engineers?
How will I bring the activity to an effective closing?
- Emphasize key information
- Check for understanding and answer any subsequent questions