Course/SkillsBuild for Student Module: SkillsBuild Lab Raspberry pi-topCEED CEEDuniverse Learning Plan
Length of class: Activities vary in time allotment, but most can easily accommodate a 40 minute class period.
Outcomes: What learners will be able to know, do, or value by the end of the lesson.
- Students will be able to apply coding elements unique to Python.
- Student will learn how to execute the appropriate programming code to accomplish a specific goal.
- Students will be able to create circuits to interact with CEEDuniverse.
Workplace learning skills:
- Analytical thinking
Required Learning Materials/Resources:
- Raspberry pi-topCEED (kit)
- Keyboard and mouse
- Raspberry Pi 3B+ (circuit board)
- Headphones (recommended – not included)
Learning Environment Needs:
The unit takes up the typical desktop space as would a normal keyboard, mouse and screen. Some additional space is required if components from the Inventor’s kit are utilized.
Prework for Educators
- CEEDuniverse – learn to code and make hardware with Raspberry Pi (video): (2:00)
- Contents/description of items in Inventors Kit: https://knowledgebase.pi-top.com/knowledge/inventorskitcontents
Part 1: Intro to CEEDuniverse (15 mins)
Teachers can check for any prior knowledge of CEEDuniverse and coding with the KWHLAQ worksheet.
Have students watch the CEEDuniverse video (2:00 min)
Students will then access the CEEDuniverse program via the pi-top dashboard on the pi-topCEED. This will simulate a game where students crash-land on a strange new planet, and will explore alien worlds, discover hidden secrets, and advance your knowledge in science and technology along the way.
Students can also reference pages 15-17 for a short intro to CEEDuniverse in the PI Top getting started guide.
Part 2: CEEDuniverse Activity (time varies)
Various CEEDuniverse activities can be selected that accommodate time constraints and available materials. Some activities will require use of the speaker or components from the Inventor’s Kit.
Part 3: Career Focus (30 mins)
Check for prior knowledge. Ask students questions like “What kinds of careers could use Raspberry Pi?”, “What kind of industry could benefit from using Python coding?”
In this day of technological advancement, the usage of computers has been incorporated into just about every field, including music. Therefore, many careers that deal with music, from its creation to implementation in the media, will involve computerization. If you are interested in how you can intertwine the two fields into a productive career, some options are listed below.
Use career graphic organizer as students go through these articles:
Additional Resources/ Deeper Learning
- pi-top: Raspberry Pi Install and First Boot (video) (on the pi-top laptop): (8:18 min)
- Shows connecting optional components to the pi-top rail system
- Python for Data Science: (3 hrs)
- Critical FAQs (Related Articles links at bottom of page)
- Pi-top Classroom (must register): http://classroom.pi-top.com
(site for shared lesson resources or where a teacher can set up a classroom for students to access)
An online community just for you!
SkillsBuild Connect is an online community for SkillsBuild Students and Teachers. Think of it as our version of Facebook, but way better, and way more valuable to you as a teacher. In SkillsBuild Connect, you can join our group just for SkillsBuild STEM Labs (And while you’re there, take a peek into our Newcomer’s Portal and explore some of the STEM topics we have). Join the SkillsBuild STEM Labs group and tell us how this activity went! We would love to hear feedback, see videos and photos, and any helpful tips and tricks for other teachers using labs.
In this online community you can:
- Give feedback on how your lab went.
- Share photos, videos, tips, and any additional activities you came up with.
- Connect with other teachers who are using SkillsBuild Labs for students.
Based on application, how I will I know learners have met intended outcome?
— KWHLAQ worksheet
— Teacher may wish to create a rubric for the activity
— Career Research Graphic Organizer
How will I bring lesson to an effective closing?
- Check for understanding and answer any subsequent questions
- Emphasize key information
- Ask the question “What information did you learn that you think you will find important 3 years from now?”
- Remind students that there are more relevant courses on SkillsBuild for Students to continue their learning
We want to hear from you! After completing this lab, please take a moment to fill out this short form. The information collected will provide helpful insights on how the Labs kits and activities are being utilized.